hints, allegations and things left unsaid...
flickr | feed | latest | last 10 


The diary of Adam and Eve
On mentioning Samuel Clemens – known to us more commonly by the nom de plume of Mark Twain - you typically think of Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn. So when I saw a book titled ‘The Diary of Adam and Eve’ supposedly written by this very author, my curiosity was piqued to such an extent that I purchased it without even the customary cursory glance through the pages. To say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading it would be greatly suppressing the facts.

The book takes you to the Biblical epoch of mankind – when Adam and Eve were still ambling about at the Garden of Eden. As the book’s title suggests, the story of genesis is told to us through the pages of diaries that Adam and Eve keep. Through their diaries the author tells us about their daily discoveries, experiments, fears and learning. As Adam and Eve find out about each other’s existence in Eden we gradually venture into the territory of man-woman relationship:

Adam: “This new creature with the long hair is a good deal in the way. It is always hanging around and following me about. I don’t like this; I am not used to company. I wish it would stay with the other animals… Cloudy today, wind in the east; think we shall have rain… We? Where did I get that word? I remember now – the new creature used it.”

Eve: “All the week I tagged after him and tried to get acquainted. I had to do the talking, because he was shy, but I didn’t mind it. He seemed pleased to have me around, and I used the sociable ‘we’ a good deal, because it seemed to flatter him to be included.

At 93 pages or so, this book is a great read. The book starts on a light, humorous note but when the first protagonists of human race consume the forbidden fruit of knowledge, it progressively becomes somber. A few pages from the Satan’s diary have also been included in this compilation and they make for poignant reading. Pick this one up!
posted: 27.10.04

4 Comments

LOL...love that quote! Shall definitely look for the book next time I'm in a bookstore!

By Blogger G Shrivastava, at 27.10.04  



I see you are now reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley - one of my favorite books of all time. I am curious to read your critique on that one.

By Blogger M, at 27.10.04  



Hi Geetanjali - the book's a riot! Go for it!

Hi Manjusha - I started reading A Brave New World just last night and should be done with it in a week or so. After Orwell's 1984 this one was long overdue! I'd love to pen down the similarities and differences between the two once I am finished reading...

By Blogger Deepak, at 28.10.04  



Thanks for posting about this lesser known work from Twain. Here is a link to another one most people are not familiar with that he personally considered his best. The Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc

By Blogger em2histbuff33, at 19.11.07  


Post a Comment




Archives Blogroll





All material posted on this blog is copyrighted and may not be used in any form without the explicit permission of the author.