hints, allegations and things left unsaid...
flickr | feed | latest | last 10 


Cleaning a mirror
Some of the most trivial and mundane of things were taught to me by my mom – especially those relating to household chores. Now, most domestic tasks fall under the two broad categories of washing and cleaning. Cleansing the mirror in my bathroom is one of those overly simplistic activities that I used to struggle with earlier. I would manage to wash the mirror clean with hardly any effort but simply allowing it to dry off on its own or mopping it with a piece of cloth, somehow left a lot to be desired from the final result. One day, I remembered mom having advised me to use old newspaper for drying the mirror off. And indeed, doing so, did render the mirror – to use a hackneyed phrase – shiny as new!

Last week, during this final phase of my mirror cleaning operation (involving a pallid, year old copy of Asian Age’s literary Sunday supplement P.Age), the matter printed on the paper caught my attention. It was a review of Aldous Huxley’s biography. I reproduce here, quotes by him from a boxed column in the same article:


  • After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

  • Maybe this world is other planet’s hell

  • That all men are equal is a proposition which at ordinary times, no sane individual has ever given his assent

  • An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex



I suddenly seem to have discovered a new (perhaps unintended) merit in my mother’s years old advice!
posted: 24.12.04

1 Comments

Hehehe....love this one:-
"An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex"

Sounds like someone I know ;-)

By Blogger G Shrivastava, at 26.12.04  


Post a Comment




Archives Blogroll





All material posted on this blog is copyrighted and may not be used in any form without the explicit permission of the author.